Watch webinars videos
South Australia has rich potential across the mining value chain, from geological exploration, developing mineral and mining projects, to downstream secondary value-adding processing opportunities.
Our mining sector is supported by a strong equipment, technology and services industry that co-exists within hi-tech hubs and research centres, alongside future-focused industries like space and defence which help forge a collaborative ecosystem to open doors and inspire new ways of thinking.
We’re home to globally significant copper mines and the world’s largest zircon mine, with three large mineral processing plants supporting regional communities.
But our ambition is still growing.
We’re supporting investment in the resources industry from pre-discovery through to production and export.
Our Copper Strategy aims to triple the state’s production to one million tonnes per year – an increase that would lift Australia into being one of the top three copper exporters in the world.
And we're supporting your next discovery through easy and open access to data as well as through co-funding exploration.
With a competitive, low-tax business environment, a highly educated workforce and one of the world’s most liveable cities – it’s no wonder major resource companies like BHP, Santos and OZ Minerals have chosen to establish corporate offices here.
Easy and open access to data
The South Australian Resource Information Gateway is a digital portal providing access to South Australia's key geoscience information, mining and exploration project information.
The South Australia Drill Core Reference Library is home to 7.5 million metres of drill core and cuttings and over 8,000 rock samples, making it the most comprehensive and complete archive of South Australia’s geology. This archive can be studied in the drill sample inspection area at the library.
The Gawler Craton Airborne Survey has captured approximately 1,660,000 line kilometres of new magnetic, radiometric and digital elevation data over an area of about 295,000 km2. This new data provides the basis for a single, internally consistent dataset that will be fundamental in reinterpreting the geological structure of the Gawler Craton.
Leading the way to discovery
The Accelerated Discovery Initiative is a $10 million program with government co-funding contributions toward exploration activities in South Australia.
ExploreSA Gawler Challenge is a world-wide call for geologists and data scientists to uncover new exploration targets in the state's highly prospective Gawler Craton region, which currently includes BHP's Olympic Dam and OZ Minerals Carrapateena copper-gold deposits.
An innovation neighbourhood in the heart of Adelaide, Lot Fourteen is focused on growing the industries of the future, from space and defence to cyber security, machine learning, health, and medical. It’s home to the SmartSat CRC, which is focused on transforming mining and natural resources.
Tonsley Innovation District
Tonsley Innovation District is a hi-tech hub attracting innovative startups and global companies, including Siemens and ZEISS. It features the Drill Core Reference Library that makes available to industry, 7.5 million metres of drill core and cuttings and over 8,000 rock samples, as well as 3D mapping capabilities and the state-of-the art, HyLogger™ core scanner.
Connect at 10 Gigabit Adelaide
Ten Gigabit Adelaide is a revolutionary high-speed, high-performance fibre optic data network that is being rolled out to commercial buildings across the City of Adelaide. The network enables businesses and organisations to share and receive high volumes of data at phenomenal 10Gbps data speeds.
In addition, GigCity allows businesses access to affordable internet with speeds from one gigabit right up to 10 gigabit at GigCity locations across Adelaide and the regions, that include Lot Fourteen, Technology Park and Tonsley Innovation District.
Cutting-edge research and training
The University of Adelaide, Flinders University, and the University of South Australia are our three, globally-recognised public universities which all have a strong focus on hi-tech training, research and commercialisation, including the ARC Research Hub for Copper-Uranium where researchers are developing and testing new, cost-effective ways to remove non-target metals from copper concentrates from ores in South Australia and beyond.
The University of Adelaide
- ARC Research Hub for Graphene Enabled Industry Transformation
- Graphene is another form of graphite, a vital commodity in SA. It is an exceptional two-dimensional material with higher conductivity, flexibility and strength. It can be used to improve existing products as well as producing completely new products. Researchers in the Hub are developing graphene-based technologies and products for application in many sectors including mining, oil, gas and energy, biomedical, transport, construction, environmental, defence and space industries, with a sight to developing an advanced materials manufacturing industry in Australia.
- Institute for Mineral and Energy Resources
- IMER operates at the international forefront of the mineral, energy and resource sectors, showcasing our finest talent in large-scale research and innovation outcomes, with the capacity to pursue higher-risk, cutting-edge projects
- Supports the Mawson Geo Centre
- Integrated Mining Consortium
- Connecting the mining value chain using machine learning, sensors and data analytics
- Centre for Sustainable Planetary and Space Resources
- The Centre for Sustainable Planetary and Space Resources brings together the University of Adelaide’s collective exploration, mining, manufacturing and engineering research strengths to address the challenges faced by long-term planetary exploration, while ensuring the near-term application here on Earth
The University of South Australia
- Future Industries Institute
- Andromeda Metals Ltd
- Archer Materials Limited
- Argonaut Resources NL
- Boss Resources Ltd
- Cartwheel Resources Pty Ltd
- Cu-River Mining Australia Pty Ltd
- Fleetspace Technologies
- Fortescue Metals Group
- GFG Alliance
- Havilah Resources Ltd
- Hillgrove Resources Ltd
- Illuka Resources Ltd
- Iron Road Limited
- Kogi Iron Limited
- Magnetite Mines
- Marmota Ltd
- Minotaur Exploration Limited
- Oz Minerals
- Pepinnini Minerals
- Rex Minerals Ltd
- Terramin Australia Ltd
- Wasco Mining Co Pty Ltd
- See more
It's all happening in South Australia
News, highlights and insights for the mining sector in South Australia.
If you are an energy and mining business interested in investing in South Australia contact
Director Minerals and Energy
Department for Trade and Investment
Phone +61 8 8303 2433
Explore opportunities for investing in South Australia's energy and mining sector.